Monday, July 12, 2010

HIVE INSPECTION WITH LOTS OF INTERESTING PICTURES

I'm wayyyyyyyyy too emotional to be a beekeeper. I crushed a bee and I really hate that but what makes me feel sick is the fact that things aren't going according to the book. I inspected the hive again today and things are happening that I either forgot what they mean (which is probably the case) or didn't learn (less likely the case). I found drone cells, about 5-10. More frames are FULL of honey, no queen in the third hive body yet and no brood. I know beeks are suggesting I rearrange the bottom two hive bodies and I plan on doing that the next sunny, clear day (hopefully tomorrow) but for now I'm just flustered because I have no idea why this isn't working out the way we were told it would in class =(

Anyway, I have some fun pictures.

Hubby saw a bee on a plant in front of the hive. She was checking him out while he's checking her out. LOL!



Here is some beeswax that we pulled off the bottom of the frames. It is white until it ages, then turns yellow.


Can you see the little drone cells? The drones are the males and their cells are puffy instead of flat like the females.


Lots of honey being made. I was tempted to lick the frames but I could just predict how that one would turn out. LOL!


The famous PROPOLIS. We have very little right now but I've heard from other beeks that the bees will create more and more and things get much stickier. They used it to seal two frames together, which I popped apart with my hive tool.