Tuesday, July 6, 2010

BEE YARD MANIA


It is hard to fully appreciate the scale of which my bees have multiplied in just a couple months in this picture. I video taped but the sound effects didn't transfer well. There was a nice humming sound coming from the mass of bees flying about outside the hive. I stood only 4 feet away when I took this picture but as usual because the sun was finally shined and the air was warm the bees were too busy to notice me standing there.

Thousands of bees were flying above the hive but unfortunately you can't see that in this picture. To see them in this fashion makes me wonder how someone with barely any yard at all could actually keep bees without the neighbors having a nervous breakdown. When my bees come out in large numbers like this they tend to occupy a good portion of our backyard which is over 1/2 an acre, and even then I keep waiting for the neighbors to protest a little.

I was happy to see the girls out and about this afternoon. I'm waiting for a more condusive moment to rearrange the bottom two hive bodies (a partial reversal), maybe when the third hive body is 80% full of honey.