HODGEPODGE POST

July 6, 2010

Some of the flowers I planted. This is butterfly weed. I thought it was so pretty growing around the lake, I decided to plant some in the yard.



Another pretty flower but I have no idea what it is. I'm too lazy to look at the hang tag out in the garden. It is a perennial and it spreads, that is all I know right now LOL! (Just learned that this is a: obedience plant, Physostegia virginiana. Thank you Cindy Naas Stapleton for recognizing the flower and giving it a name.)

Our broccoli is coming along nicely. Not sure what ate the leaves and maybe a more experienced gardner can enlighten me as to whether whatever ate the leaves are a good or bad thing??? (just learned that this is a cabbage loper (white butterfly that lays larva that eat the leaves) thank you Priscilla Powers Bue for the education! I now need to get out there and look for larva before they do anymore damage)



Ok, the only problem I have so far with gardening is not knowing when to harvest things. Is this lettuce ready to be harvested?



My lemon balm is growing great. Just need to have that tree removed that is sticking out behind it so I can make room for more.



I'm VERRRRRY happy with my rasberry bush. Next year I will plant several more since this year was such a success.



Here is a little bit of our fourth celebration.

Fireworks.



Yana terrified on the baby slide.



Maya and Yana on the merry-go-round.



Middy's beautiful face.



Last but never the least, me and my fran in the garden.

Carrie Garvin said...

Michelle- Wonderful post of this and that ---- AND OMGoodness your girlies are sooo beautiful- and of course you are too- and your doggie too.

I think flowers are made to make us smile--yours are lovely.

Jennifer Young said...

Hello, love the pictures and glimpse into your personal life. Wow if I showed you my garden... they are almost all cactus! I guess because of the are we live in. I don't have any pretty flowers but I think you have inspired me... I just may plant some. Looks like you have a beautiful family. xo Jen

Anonymous said...

M, you and your kids are gorgeous! Re the broccoli: make sure you check the florets very carefully for caterpillars when you go to eat them. Raspberries are fabulous; I want to grow more too!

Amy Warden said...

What fun! Your garden looks fabulous! I would say you should eat some of that lettuce! I'm just hoping & praying that my tomatoes will actually ripen this year. It's been a weird weather summer.

~~Melissa said...

Hello. Lettuce can be eaten any time (from the time it has just sprouted onward). I always taste it and when I like it, we start eating it. It tastes best when picked or cut first thing in the morning or in the evening (not during hot sun). If it's not head lettuce, use scissors and trim off the leaves about 1" from the base. They will regrow several times in the same season. Enjoy!