HONEY

July 19, 2010

Although honey isn't something people usually reach for when they "think" natural colorant and I hadn't plan on blogging about it as such but I was making milk, oatmeal and honey soap this week and so I decided to include this in the blog posts on natural coloring.

(BTW/sorry about these blog delays lately. Things are crazy over at the Valadez home and I'm not finding the time that I had before to play on the net.)

So for those who haven't tried honey yet. If you want a natural tan color and a great all around additive, honey is the best. Unfortunately, I'm not at a point in my beekeeping venture where I can use my own honey... the bees are just making enough for themselves right now, so I had to reach for the store bought kind. Always get local honey! Better for the environment, better for the beekeeper ;)



In this recipe I used 2 ounces of honey mixed with .5 - 1 ounce of hot water (it takes hot water to liquify honey, cold doesn't work so well). I only mix the water with the honey so all of it gets incorporated, otherwise without water some honey gets left behind.



Add the honey at trace.

This is the color it produces. Without the honey, this soap turns creamy white.



Why honey is good for skin:

1. It moisturizes.
2. Promotes tissue growth.
3. Reverses damage caused by free radicals.
4. Great for sensitive skin.
5. Contains antimicrobial properties.
6. It is a natural antiseptic.

Happy Soaping!
Carrie Garvin said...

I can't tell you how much I LOVE your blog, and all the wonderful info you share. Honey--what a wonderful nature way to color as you have shown!

Hugs

Jennifer Young said...

Hi Michelle, Thanks for the tips about honey. Love the way your soap log looks... I am never quite sure how much honey to put in the soap but I am going to use your guidelines. xo Jen

Michelle said...

Ok, I goofed on my response so I'm starting over.

Thanks Carrie! ((hugs))

Jennifer. I always use two ounces of honey in my four pound soap mold and have no trouble. I've heard about honey leaching but it hasn't happened to me yet. Some soapers have said pouring honey in pure causes leaching too but I always mix with water so I can't testify to the validity of that. Apparently honey can cause the temp in soap to rise higher than "normal" so I err on the side of caution and make sure my raw soap is no higher than 105 when I add the honey.

Michelle said...

Oops forgot. The whole temp thing is apparently what contributes to the leaching but again, I've only heard or read that.

Amy Warden said...

I can't believe I never thought to dilute my honey!!! This is awesome! Thank you!!

Michelle said...

Amy, do you have trouble with yours leaching ever?

Joanna Schmidt said...

nice loaf, mama!