NATURAL SOAP COLORANT: Parsley

July 12, 2010

This week I made soap using Parlsey Powder. Parsley, as you probably already know, is commonly used as a spice in cooking. I always confuse it with cilantro even thought they really look nothing alike. I'm just goofy that way. I'm not a fan of the way parsley tastes but I like to use it when I want to color my soap green. I haven't experimented with it very much but I do know that something is influencing the staying power of the color in my soaps. Oils, essential ois? Not sure. I've used it to swirl in one batch and it lasted about 3 months and then faded to nearly non-existent, I used it to color a top layer of one batch green and it lasted over 8 months before starting to fade. Of course, the oils and eo's were different in each batch. But anyway... This won't be an experiment, it just gives you an idea of how beautiful the natural color is. I've purchased the parsley powder instead of drying and grinding my own.

Steps: Pretty easy. I used 1 tsp per pound of soap and this batch was 4 lbs. I take out half the the raw soap and add the parsley. I stick blend it until smooth and fully combined and then add it back into the other half of the uncolored raw soap. I stir it in, I don't blend. I just feel more in control, making sure no lumps exist. Once it is mixed well I just plop it in the mold and I'm done. (Oh, add your fragrance after the colorant is mixed entirely with all the raw soap).




FuturePrimitive Soap Co. said...

cor! I love those pics and the finished soap looks so exquisite. I wanna sniff! x

Amy Warden said...

Yeah! I've been anxious to see this! It does seem curious that it would stick longer in one soap than another... Beautiful color though!

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

What a gorgeous color! That is some amazing looking soap.

Ambra said...

Lovely colour! I have plenty of Prsley growing in the garden and have been planning to use it in soap. How funny that the colour lasts a different time. I've always thought it was just the colouring material, but obviously not!

Michelle said...

Thanks ladies! I'm not sure what the deal is with the lasting color. I thought it either stayed or didn't but it seems not to be the case. I generally keep one bar from each batch of soap I make just to see how the color and fragrance lasts, if it is something different I've done. I was surprised to see the parsley last longer in one soap than in another and unfortunately I can't pin point it to one thing since both of the soaps were completely different recipes (oils, butters and fragrance).

Carrie Garvin said...

Michelle! Just beau----ti---ful!!!!!

Jennifer Young said...

Wow. I love the colour and the look of the texture in this soap! Once I finish with the Alkanet experiments (will I ever finish?) I think I will move onto green.... This is a special, minty looking colour. And very strange about the colour staying.... I guess it is all part of the magic & mystery of natural colour!!! xoxo Jen

Michelle said...

Thank you Carrie!

Jennifer,

That is funny you mentioned mint because that is what I scented it :)

in-between said...

ohhhh gorgeous color