MY BEES WILL BE HERE IN LESS THAN 5 WEEKS

March 20, 2010

I finished my beekeeping course, ordered my bees, tonight I order my supplies. I chose the carniolan bees. Not sure if it was the best choice but I'll soon find out. They are the most docile bee, over winter better than others, but they love to swarm. I've been taught how to eliminate swarming and hopefully I don't screw it up because my neighbors wouldn't be happy if they found a swarm of bees hanging out in their backyard. 



I'm very excited. Can't wait to produce my own honey and beeswax. I tend to buy a ton of both. I'll be able to give beeswax and honey gifts for the holidays, which I know people will enjoy. Not to mention getting to know everything I possibly can about such a wonderful little creature as the honey bee. My kids will be suiting up to help me with the hive, which I know they will enjoy. Stay tuned for pictures. I'll be documenting this little journey of ours and hopefully it will inspire others to take up the hobby as well. Remember, without honey bees we lose quite a bit... no nuts, less fruit, you name it.

MY LIFE WITH BEES BLOG
Diane said...

WOW! Can't wait to hear more about it.

Diane

Amy Warden said...

Seems like a long time to wait, but I guess live freight probably needs some extra careful handling! Yea!

Michelle said...

Oh Diane, you will hear lots. Hopefully lots of good news and not bad. LOL!

Amy,
the wait time is 1/2 me and 1/2 the company. They are local but the bees aren't ready til early April. I'm not going to be able to receive them on the date they've set up mass delivery so I've arranged to pick them up on the 21st. It will be fun to experience the drive home with bees and a car full of family. LOL!

Anonymous said...

You are brave, bees scare me. Can't wait to hear about your adventures.

Carrie Garvin said...

A BIG wow! It's official now- no turning back! You're going to have such a great time- and the girls will be learning so much by this experience too!

Hugs