I KILLED MY OWN SOAP

March 10, 2010


Why Why Why? Is all I can ask myself. Twice in my soap making years have I had soap seize up on me, turning to a curdled mess. Sure, it's still salvageable for the sheer purpose of just giving it away but I wouldn't sell it if my life depended on it. Well, I would if my life depended on it but whatever... 

Nothing urks me more than finding a fragrance oil that I absolutely love, can't wait to use, and then have it turn out badly. Oh wo is me right. Seriously, I'm about to have a nervous breakdown over this.

What causes this curdled mess you ask? Well in my case it would be temps too high. I learned this the first time I had this happen so you'd think I'd be a little more vigilant the 2nd time around. Um... no. I noticed my temps were really high and I ignored it. I still have no idea why I did that. Maybe I'm getting complacent. So note to self and note to others... to avoid curdling its best to keep temps below 120 but not too low or that can curdle the batch also. I never soap under 100.

So now I'll go sulk in a corner, maybe pet my dog and realize in the scheme of all things the fragrance oil wasn't really that important anyway.
Amber said...

What a bummer! :( I've been getting lazy with my temps lately and I will let your warning serve as a wake-up call for me before it is too late...

Amy W said...

Funny title to this post!!! We've all been there... I've been doing a lot of RT soaping lately. I'm wondering if it's causing issues with my castile soap. Haven't had trouble with my regular recipe though. At least you'll be more vigilant next time! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, M! I am sooo bummed for you! Even though I will never make soap to sell, I still worry about these sorts of things happening.

Did you use the entire bottle of the FO in that one batch?

I'd bring over some baked goods and have tea with you to cheer you up if only you lived next door. xo

Michelle said...

Amber,

That is me in a nutshell. It reminds me of when I was becoming a more experienced rock climber and one of my guides reminded me that the most experienced climbers are the ones that usually die because we become lazy. I should let that advice flow into all areas of my life.

Amy, very true. I don't believe I'll make this mistake a 3rd time. If I do, I think it will be time to retire.

Aw T, your too sweet. I'm ready to move right next door. Not for baked goods and tea but for your company. But you can bring baked goods and tea too if you want ;)

Michelle said...

Oh T, it was 3/4 of the bottle :( and the rest that I have isn't enough for another batch. Quite the bummer too because the soap smells divine and I've had others smell it and they love it too. Only happens when the fragrance is great. Go figure!

Carrie Garvin said...

It's happened to me too ~ probably the same thing--too high temp... I hate that too!

Anne-Marie said...

Bummer, I ruined a 10 pound batch the other day through bad judgment on my part too! I always feel silly when I do that too =) My high temps always crack but never seize so I'm sorry that yours did =( Better luck next time?

Michelle said...

Carrie,

It is a good thing we soap addicts order lots and lots of fragrance so we have more to fall back on. LOL!

AM,

Oh no no no no no. If I lost 10 lbs I would be in a straight jacket right now :( You are such a brave woman, always just moving ahead. I need to follow your lead, always inspirational :)

Anonymous said...

Switch to RTCP and put the lye mix in the fridge if need be. This will help. I soaped with temperatures for the first 3mths and have been doing DWRTCP approx 20 - 25 deg c for the past 5 yrs. Occasional fast mover but it is expected when working with spice oils or problem FO's.

Michelle said...

Thank you Sharon for the advice! I appreciate it :)

Mary Jane said...

I am getting back into cold process soap making after a four year hiatus. I made the mistake of substituting soybean oil for soybean shortening. BAD idea. My first batch is three months old and is finally hard enough to use but disappears way too quickly. I seized the second batch, I think due to high temp. The third batch looks okay, but time will tell. I learned my lesson: Don't make decisions based on something costing less. I always end up getting exactly what I pay for.

I have had more problems with soapmaking in the last five months than I did in the first five years as a soapmaker. I must be on a big learning curve right now.

Michelle said...

Mary Jane, I had an experience just like the one you mentioned. As a newbie soaper it was like I could do no wrong, then years into making soap I had a string of bad luck. It is frustrating.