Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I KILLED MY OWN SOAP


Why Why Why? Is all I can ask myself. Twice in my soap making years have I had soap seize up on me, turning to a curdled mess. Sure, it's still salvageable for the sheer purpose of just giving it away but I wouldn't sell it if my life depended on it. Well, I would if my life depended on it but whatever...

Nothing urks me more than finding a fragrance oil that I absolutely love, can't wait to use, and then have it turn out badly. Oh wo is me right. Seriously, I'm about to have a nervous breakdown over this.

What causes this curdled mess you ask? Well in my case it would be temps too high. I learned this the first time I had this happen so you'd think I'd be a little more vigilant the 2nd time around. Um... no. I noticed my temps were really high and I ignored it. I still have no idea why I did that. Maybe I'm getting complacent. So note to self and note to others... to avoid curdling its best to keep temps below 120 but not too low or that can curdle the batch also. I never soap under 100.

So now I'll go sulk in a corner, maybe pet my dog and realize in the scheme of all things the fragrance oil wasn't really that important anyway.