LAZY BEES or MISINFORMATION? YOU TELL ME.

May 17, 2010

For starters, my bees don't even come close to lazy. I personally think they are just night owls and need their beauty sleep but...

I've heard and read two things about bee foraging activity:

1. Bees rise with the sun so the best time to visit the hive is just after sunrise, when most of the bees are out foraging.
2. Bees rise about 10 am and the majority are out foraging between 10 am and 2 pm. So it is best to visit the hive between 10 am and 2 pm.

My bees are not even raising their weary heads before 8 am. I check on them every single day and they don't rise until around 9 am. Maybe one or two are willing to face the cool morning temps (which are in the high 50's to low 60's right now) but the others like to get their morning coffee and head out the door around 10 am.

You'd think I would follow the second part of what I heard (most bees are out foraging between 10 am and 2 pm) but my girls aren't ready to come home at 2 pm. The bulk of them return much much later. Although many are still busy working as the sun is going down, the majority seem to return home around 5 pm.