REIKI - HOW CAN IT HELP YOU?

May 4, 2009

Years ago, after learning about the benefits of Reiki from a woman sitting next to me at a Tibetan Film Festival in Minneapolis, I decided to become a practitioner. It took be several years to actually commit to doing it but I recently found the right teacher and have since taken my journey into the wonderful world of Reiki very seriously. 


After Attunement One, and although I liked the first woman I worked with, I began my quest for a new instructor. For me to feel completely at ease with someone, be it a teacher or friend, I have to connect with that person in a spiritual way. Fortunately, I found that person in Susan Aguirre. Susan is genuinely a kind hearted person. She describes herself as an intuitive, and for those who've met her, they would certainly agree. I nearly fainted when I handed her a piece of my mothers jewelry and she told me how long my mom had been dead and what type of person my mother was. How could she know that after only knowing me for 30 minutes? There are very few people that can touch our souls in life and Susan is one of those people. I have complete faith in her abilities and tonight she has volunteered to come do Reiki for my sister.

My sister was recently diagnosed with pancreatitis and gallstones, both of which cause severe pain. Surgery is not an easy solution for my sister. She's high risk for possible complications following any surgical procedure. Susan is coming to see if she can help relieve some of her pain naturally, using her energy and mine.

For those who haven't heard of Reiki or you don't know how it works:
Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy. (www.reiki.org)


I've known people who've used Reiki to relieve anxiety and pain with immediate results. I use Reiki on myself to ease the pain of osteoarthritis in my hands and to help me sleep at night. My baby says to me "Mama Reiki" and takes my hand and places it on her belly. Obviously something very comforting to her. I recently had a woman tell me that before she had brain surgery she was in tears feeling extreme worry and anxiety. The hospital provided Reiki as a stress reduction method and she figured she had nothing to lose by trying it. To her surprise, and she seriously was surprise considering she didn't believe "laying on of hands" could be of any benefit, her fear dissipated and she felt more prepared for surgery. Because of the proven benefits of Reiki, hospitals around the nation are now offering it to patients as a way of reducing stress and helping speed up the healing process.

If you are interested in Reiki and how it may help you, following is a list of some things you can use Reiki for:

Pain reduction
Emotional Problems (anxiety, depression, etc...)
Arthritis
Panic attacks
Headaches
Allergies
Healing from illnesses or surgery (strengthens immune system)
Lowers blood pressure
Helps induce sleep
Spiritual growth
Slows the aging process
Strengthens energy flow

Reiki isn't only beneficial to humans, animals benefit from it also. Some actually crave it. Cats seem to spot a Reiki practitioner from across the room and gravitate towards that person.

The best part about Reiki is the ability to send energy healing across the miles to those who need it most.

So, if you haven't tried Reiki I encourage you to give it a try. Who knows, maybe you'll become a Reiki practitioner some day :)
Carrie Garvin said...

Michelle- Very very cool- I watched the video and was very impressed.

I think this is a wonderful thing you are doing. I love that it can be tranfered over miles and even with animals.

Love to hear more.

Hugs