SOAPMAKING JOURNAL

December 5, 2010

A couple years ago I posted a page from my soap making journal for others in case anyone keeps track of their recipes and experience. I thought I'd resurrect that post in case others are interested in keeping track of their recipes and experiences with soapmaking without the hassle of drawing up your own journal.

Here it is: CLICK HERE

This is what it looks like:



I couldn't fit the entire image on my screen, but there is a section below for extra notes.

The temp for mixing section I still use. It originally was used to keep track of the temps at which I combined lye/oil/water but now I use the heat transfer method so I use it to keep track of the temp I include essential oils (yes, there is a reason for that).

Why do I keep track of the weather. Once upon a time I learned from another soapmaker, with far more experience than I, that the temp outside could effect soap. I had a string of bad batches that had to do with outside temp. LONG STORY!
Jennifer Young said...

Hi! Thanks for sharing! I also use a soap journal in Excel that I created. It is also my recipe, so that I can easily resize and work from it again. I include everything you have on your journal page EXCEPT weather. PLEASE share your weather experiments. I would be VERY interested in knowing how it affected your soaps and soap making! I live in a very dry climate, almost desert, but there is a very hot season and a cold few months where it is very cold inside. I don't know how this affects my soaps yet. Also, when it rains outside, not often, my salt-soaps sweat! xo Jen

Anonymous said...

It's true! It's just like with baking, what the weather is that day will definitely affect your product. I should learn from soapers and keep track of the conditions when I bake something. :)

Michelle said...

Hi Jen,

Frigid temps outside (-30 below at one point) had an effect on my soap, several batches in a row. Because my soap kitchen at that time was sensitive, I couldn't insulate the soap to save my life. At one point I piled on 3 towels, a fleece blanket and another blanket and the soap still didn't gel. I learned about outside temps and stick blenders at that time from another soapmaker. BTW/it was mash potato soap that I ended up with 3 times in a row.

When I started keeping track of outside temps it lead me to figuring out what was causing condensation on my cp soap and long trace times for my recipe at the time. I would get water droplets on my cp soap on hot humid days (always over 70% dew point). My soap kitchen temp felt just fine, I didn't physically feel the humidity, but I installed a dehumidifier anyway and it would withdraw about 1 gallon of water every 2-3 days. It was crazy. Once I installed the dehumidifier I no longer had water droplets on my soap or long trace times with the recipe I was using at that time. It was an instant change so it definitely was a reflection of the water in the air.

Michelle said...

Hey T,

I have a friend that can't believe I hate baking because I make soap, because she says it is so similar. I love soap making and even though I'm not a chemist I understand soap. If something goes wrong I usually can get down to the bottom of the problem and I'm slowly getting over my fear of experimenting too much. With baking, if something doesn't work I'm more like "What the hell happened?" Then I tell myself "I will never attempt that process again because it was quite painful." I have no idea what happened and I don't want to know. That is why man invented restaurants. LOL!

Amy W said...

So behind on reading...forgive me! I keep a journal as well, but I've never thought to record the weather and temps. I just might have to start doing that!