MET WITH A NUTRITIONIST

July 3, 2023

My new doctor has a group of people that are part of her healthcare team and so far everyone she has sent me off to see I've been impressed with. My most recent appointment was with a nutritionist. She went over my medical record before meeting with me so she had plans for me the moment we sat down to speak to each other. 

First priority is to find foods I can tolerate and gain weight so she had me experiment with cassava flour today. I've had cassava before in the form of pasta but hadn't eaten it since getting sick again back in December and never worked with the flour. I cooked up two tortillas, added some almond butter and blueberry jam (100% pure fruit) and ate both. It was a nice change from eating the same foods over and over for months. I hope my body handles it well. 

Normally not handling well means becomes abdominal pain, bloating, loose stools, and horrific reflux. Fingers crossed for a good outcome. 

For anyone interested in a gluten free no grain flour alternative, the recipe on the bag is:

3/4 casava flour

1/4 tsp sea salt

2 Tbs olive oil

1/3 cup warm water.

Mix together well and then make six balls. If the consistency is a little dry just add a tiny bit more water. Roll out the balls in between two sheets of parchment paper and place on non stick square griddle pan on medium heat and wait for bubbles to form on each side like you do with a regular flour tortilla. 


The cassava tortilla is close in taste to a flour tortilla but a little more doughy tasting.