WHEN LIFE GETS YOU DOWN...START JOURNALING

April 17, 2023


I've faced many challenges in my life but dealing with a chronic health problem that has gone undiagnosed for years has been by far the most difficult. Instead of helping, 99% of doctors have just made it worse. The anxiety I struggle with on a daily basis can be debilitating which is why I see a psychologist. Not only do I have complex medical PTSD that requires EMDR therapy, I'm also dealing with debilitating symptoms and struggling to get a diagnosis.

I started seeing the psychologist to help me cope with the stress and anxiety that comes from being chronically ill and not getting the proper diagnosis so I can be successfully treated or at least helped to feel better. One of the most helpful things the psychologist suggested to me is to start journaling, especially before bed if my mind is racing. I'm no stranger to keeping a journal, I've done so on and off since I was a child, but over the past decade or so I stopped and so writing my daily thoughts again has been really therapeutic. One thing I've really been drawn to lately is journal prompts. Normally I'll write about my feelings, the weather, and anything new that may have come up in my life but I often like to get outside my own dark world for a second and be pushed into writing about something I otherwise wouldn't have thought of.  Journal prompts are really helpful for this and it keeps me from obsessing on my physical issues. 

Following are some of the prompts I've chosen over the last few months. If you enjoy journaling maybe you'll like these prompts too. 

1. I am proud of myself because...
2. If you were a feral cat, how would you spend your day?
3. On my worst days I want to remember that...
4. What 3 things (no people) that bring you the most joy?
5. My favorite memory from last year was...
6. What is the most valuable thing you've learned from life so far?
7. What is one thing you'd like to manifest this week?
8. Write about your favorite season.
9. How can I make tomorrow better than today?
10. What's something outside you are grateful for?