FIFTY NIFTY UNITED STATES

December 9, 2014

I can't seem to get that song out of my head.  Anyway...
While Aiyana is doing her schoolwork I often poke around on Pinterest looking for fun education activities for her and I to do together.  Yesterday my search was "United States."  I've been trying to find creative ways of teaching her the U.S. States and their capitols.  One thing I found was a simple worksheet where Aiyana is mostly coloring and drawing but when I clicked on the link it didn't go anywhere so I decided to recreate it myself. 

The worksheet looked pretty much like this: (Click image to Download)


And this is one finished report that Aiyana did.  


This worksheet received a big thumbs up from my daughter. I told her we'll be doing one every day until we finish all 50 states and she said "ok" so I know she likes it.  If not there would have been a frowny face and "aw mom, do we have to?" coming out of her mouth. 

If anyone happens to know who is the original creator of this worksheet, please let me know so I can give credit for the idea. 
Teresa Robeson said...

That's so great you found something that she enjoys! The boys and I used to play Scrambled States. If we still have it, I should see if you want it. :)

Michelle said...

T, we use to have that game. I picked it up so long ago that I lost all the pieces to it before we ever played it so I never got to see if it was any good. Is it worth picking up again, did you like it? I think all I found in the box were the maps of the U.S. :(

Michelle said...

btw/if that made no sense… when Aiyana was like 2 she'd open any and all boxes and empty their contents. lol! Things just disappeared.

Epicure68 said...

That's a great worksheet! If I had something like that for Canada, I might've even known where the borders were by the time I hit high school. (I think my social studies 10 teacher knew I was a lost cause when I completely screwed up drawing the map of Canada).

That's hilarious about Aiyana opening boxes and tossing the contents around. :D

Michelle said...

I know what you mean Monica. Seriously! I didn't even know where all the U.S. states were until I was 18 and started taking road trips with friends.

Epicure68 said...

Yes, but you guys have 50 states, I can't even count that high. :D We have 10 provinces and now 3 territories and I still can't' get it straight.

Michelle said...

I have to tell you… Canadians always amaze me because they know a lot more about geography (and government, etc…) than Americans. You can meet an American and they barely know what their own capitol is but Canadians can tell you the names of cities on the other side of the planet. I am certain you know 100x's more than I do about world geography. The reason you don't know the provinces yet is because your mind is full of all kinds of other important things. We Americans… you know what our heads are full of. LOL! (now I wait for someone to read this and call me unpatriotic. lol!)