THE BEES ARE OUT AND ABOUT

February 16, 2011

I took a peek outside this afternoon to see how much snow melted in the backyard and to my surprise, my bees were out and about. It didn't last too long. Most of them went back inside after about 20 minutes but a few are coming and going now. I'm so happy.



Pam J. said...

Good news! And I'm happy for you too. We had sun today and it was in the high 40s so my bees were out briefly. I keep reading other blogs where people are reporting lost hives already, so I guess you and I are among the lucky ones....so far. But there's a lot of winter left to get through.

I just read through one of your early posts about beekeeping (FIRST HIVE INSPECTION DONE! AND I SUCKED!) and it was so reassuring for me. I'm not the only one who feels totally inept at times! And you just know that those bees can smell our fear and apprehension. I must confess that I feel much more confident during the winter when the girls are staying indoors. This spring I'm going to work very hard at calming myself, mentally, so that I don't give off "fear pheromones."

Michelle said...

Hi Pam,

I am so glad that you can relate to my feeling uncertainty with the bees. I have to get out there and see how much honey they have left tomorrow and I'm so nervous. They definitely smell my fear. I'll be layering up underneath the bee suit. LOL!

I was reading the natures nectar blog and they have reported losses across our state. I was sure mine wouldn't make it so it was a great relief to see they are coming along. I hope they have enough honey left as I have no idea how to make a candy board yet :(

I am looking forward to the day I feel confident enough to handle the frames without gloves.

Anonymous said...

Boy, are they ever out! Our neighbors (not even 1/10 of a mile away)have bees, and they seem to be overly attracted to me and my house. Stupid question, but could they be attracted to the essential oils I use? I've just assumed that, but thought I would as you while I was thinking about it. :)

Michelle said...

Hi soapsister,

I would have to say it is not the eo's attracting the bees but something in your yard. Bees find pollen and nectar through color vision and it has been my experience wth them that scents don't attract much. I wear an eo blend daily and even when near the hive the bees don't notice. I have herbs and flowers in my yard and the bees never hang out, they'd rather do business elsewhere. They are peculiar in the sense that what I would think they'd be attracted to they aren't, like the flowering apple trees around our house last year. Maybe they are making a stop at your home for water. My neighbors reported that our honeybees made several visits to their pond over the summer. BTW/some eo's are used in the treatment of bee ailments as well... I hope that info helps you narrow down what it could be. The plus in it all is thy generally don't like to sting away from the hive and they are great pollinators if you have flowers or fruit trees.

Michelle said...

I willask about eo's on the bee forum I visit and see if the more experienced beekeepers have found issues with this. I know bees do have a strong sense of smell, bananas drive them mad and in my course we were told not to wear perfume or cologne when opening the hive. You would think bees would be attracted to eo's since they come from flowers but that just hasn't been my experience when working outside near them. I will ask the other beeks what they know about this though and let you know.

Michelle said...

The soap sister,

The experts point out that lemomgrass eo is a bee lure but it seems the others are not.

Anne-Marie said...

I'm glad that some of your snow is melting and you're starting to thaw out. Spring is on its way! Although it's snowing here in Washington State today =( I'm ready for the sun!

Michelle said...

AM,

I can imagine you are ready for something else as well... that itty bitty baby about to make his way into the world. I'm so excited for you! :)

dixiebelle said...

Go bees!