THIS IS WHAT BEE DEATH LOOKS LIKE

January 1, 2011


A big thank you to Jared over at JARED'S BEES for letting me share this picture.  

This is the sight I dread. Little bee butts up in the air while they are face down in a cell looking for food. The bees in the above picture are all dead because they starved to death. It doesn't mean they ran out of honey, in fact, these little girls were just inches from food when they died. 



Here in Minnesota we are facing one of the harshest winters in years. The snow started to fall early and the temps are below normal. The longer the winter the more I worry about my bees surviving.

The picture above reminds me that no matter how well you manage a hive we can't always prevent the inevitable :(

If only there was a way to pump copious amounts of honey into the mouths of my bees so they didn't have to do any other work besides staying warm. *sigh
Mary Ann said...

I found the same picture in one of my two hives the day before yesterday, inches as well from their stores. It was very, very sad. I'm sorry!

Mary Ann said...

I found the same picture in one of my two hives the day before yesterday as well. It was a gruesome sight to behold, their little hind ends in the air just a few inches from their stores. I'm so sorry!

Michelle said...

Oh Mary Ann, I am so sorry. Definitely a very disappointed and sad feeling I am sure. I hope your second hive continues to do well.

Anonymous said...

I hope that fate doesn't befall your bees! Keeping all my fingers crossed for you/them.

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

Oh the carnage!

Amy W said...

Yikes! That's not a pretty picture at all!

Anne-Marie said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry about your bees :(