I FINALLY DID THE NETI POT

January 22, 2011


For over a year now my friend Angie has been trying to convince me to try the "neti pot." I had read a little bit about it several years ago but the thought of running water through my sinuses brought back bad memories of the time I almost drown, 


Last year an herbalist told me that I would need to get rid of my dogs. Turns out they are the cause of a persistent glob of mucus I've had in the back of my throat for the past 15 years. Again, Angie told me to try the "neti pot". On top of the mucus issue I have a deviated septum and, therefore, am susceptible to colds and never have free flow of air on one side of my nose. Again, Angie told me to try the "net pot."

Actually, Angie should be a spokesperson for the "neti pot" manufacturers because she does a very convincing sell of the product. She sold me 100x's over until I got over the fear that I may die during the process.

I was pretty ill since December and so I worked up the courage, with Angie on the phone talking me through it of course, to give the "neti pot" a try. I was hoping the little saline mix in the water would prevent that feeling of drowning but it didn't. As soon as the warm water rushed into my sinuses I started to panic but knew it was temporary (Again, Angie said it would pass), so I hung in there. Once I finished I did the EXACT opposite of what I was suppose to do. I blew my nose really hard. Immediately my left ear plugged up and about 5 minutes later I had annoying pressure on one side of my face. I bitched and moaned about how I should never have done the darn "neti pot" and my ear would be just fine. 15 minutes after that my nose let out a mini burst of water and the pressure and plug were gone. Once I calmed down about the entire experience I realized I was the problem and not the "neti pot." I didn't follow the basic instructions which state: DO NOT BLOW HARD afterwards. (moral of that mini story: follow directions).

Because this was the first time in many years that I didn't feel a blob of mucus in the back of my throat I continued on daily with my "neti pot" treatments.

Result: Angie was right! Not only do I now sleep without choking on my own snot but my facial congestion during my illness was nowhere near as bad as it could have been. Everytime I felt the congestion coming I would flush my sinuses and I was good to go. The plus in all of this is that my breathing is actually much clearer than it was before. No, my septum didn't miraculously correct itself but it isn't anywhere near as difficult to breath on that one side as it was before.

I've posted a picture of myself doing the "neti pot" - not the best picture (yes, I just woke up, yes, it is early in the morning). I thought it would be better than some random pic off the net that no one can relate to. Trust me, if you are at all aprehensive about trying this I assure you that if I can do it, so you can you :)

Thanks Angie!!

If my readers have no clue what I'm referring to, please read the following. There is even a video on how to use the neti pot.

DOES THE NET POT REALLY WORK?

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS A NETI POT

WHY NETI POTS ARE POPULAR
Amy W said...

My neighbor does the neti pot every day. I think my 9-year-old would benefit from it - I'm just not sure I could convince her to try it! I'm sure glad it's working for you!

The Soap Sister said...

I love the Neti, and Amy, my 9 year old son now can Neti by himself! YAY! It took a LOT of talking to get him to try....he hated it at first, but I convinced him to talk (count backwards from 100) to keep him breathing in a relaxed manner & also to keep his mind occupied. Wish I had known about the Neti thing when I was younger...could have saved quite a few sinus infections! Thanks for a great post Soap Pixie!

Steven C said...

Does the saline solution use regular table salt, or do you have to purchase something specialized?

Michelle said...

Hi Steve,

I would recommend using premixed packages. They are inexpensive and just the right balance. The box of 100 packages cost about $12.00. The packages are a mix of sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate and pH balanced (preservative free), don't use table salt. I've heard if the balance isn't just right you will feel a burn when you flush.

Michelle said...

SoaP sister, I like reading about the success you've had getting your child to use the neti. Like Amy I think my 14 yr old would benefit but she is afraid to try it :(

Georgie said...

While your blog is a bit gross and graphic it is good to get this ancient indian practice out there in the blogosphere. my son with chronic sinusitis was saved from surgery by using it every second day. He also had to give up daily dairy too.

Michelle said...

Bee house,

Lol! Gross and graphic.

Could have been worse, I could have shown what came out. Lol!

Michelle said...

Bee house,

I forgot to also mention, I too can't have dairy. Interesting. I wonder how many people have similar problems.

JS Grame-Smith said...

Its very easy to use and harmless and you will get a lot relief in nasal irrigation.
-Netipot