TROUBLESHOOTING SOAP DISASTER

November 30, 2010

I have been making soap for several years now and I thought I'd seen or heard of everything in the soap world but yesterday I uncovered a batch of soap and was surprised at what I saw. The soap had pulled away from the edges of the mold and turned almost rock solid. It reminds me of chocolate bark, the kind with the almonds in it. The soap isnt caustic, I can wash with it and it feels soft on my skin but it is hard hard hard. It can't be cut. I attempted to cut with my circle cutter and the soap split and the edges crumbled. Anyone know what happened?





Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

Hmmmm.The first thing that comes to mind of course it lye heaviness but, if it's not caustic-could it be too much hard oil to your recipe?

Michelle said...

I am puzzled. This is a recipe I have used before so I am at a loss. I thought maybe too much heat loss but I have had that experience before and ended up with mash potato consistency soap. I am going to change the batteries in my scale. Not enough lye???? I have no clue.

Michelle said...

Oh, 4 got to mention that this was uncovered 18 hours later and already was rock hard.

Anonymous said...

Makes me think of Cocoa Butter to see the way it chipped off.

Michelle said...

Courtney,

Exactly that consistency! Strangest thing I've ever seen happen to my soap : - ( hopefully I never see it again.

Anonymous said...

Oh nuts....what a bummer! I have the same type of thing happen to me in baking: a recipe I've used tons of times all of a sudden won't work. How frustrating!

Jennifer Young said...

Hi Michelle, I am not sure what may have happened... but I think you could use it for laundry soap! If you can grate it easily, getting powder or small bits, you can add Washing soda, Borax and EO and voila! I can't get my leftover soap this hard, so instead of powder, I get little bits, but it still cleans my clothes wonderfully. I am even thinking of selling it, to cut down on lost income. Let me know if you try it or if you figure out how you got soap so hard!! xo Jen

Michelle said...

Hey T, it is actually a miracle I am a soapmaker because this is the very reason I avoid cooking and baking. Lol!

Michelle said...

I will give it a try Jen. Thanks for the suggestion!