DON'T LEAVE HOME NOW!

November 26, 2010

One of my girls left the hive but didn't make it back. I'm assuming it was recent because she isn't covered in snow. My daughter found her in the driveway, quite far from her hive, so I don't think she left her home to die but maybe came out when the sun was shining but got too cold??? Whatever the reason, it is always sad to see them like this but it's natural nonetheless.




TeresaR said...

You're right, M...it is natural, but it is still very sad.

Pam J. said...

But she may have lived a nice long productive bee life. When I took my beekeeping workshop last winter I seemed to hear so often that bees don't come out of the hive until the temperatures get over 56 or 57 degrees. Well, it's barely over 40 degrees here today, and I saw a bee venture out! She didn't stay out long --- maybe there are temperature scouts?

Michelle said...

I think you are right Pam. They said the same thing at the beekeeping course I took yet our bees come out on high 40 to low 50 days also. Not many but definitely a few. It will be interesting to watch now and see if any come out. We are soooo cold.

Sam Smith said...

It is also possible that this one was already dead, and was carried away by an undertaker :)