I've been wanting to make this apple butter for a while now but I tend to avoid things if I sense I may be risking failure, especially when it comes to food :( Well, I went apple picking with the intention of using some of the apples for this very purpose and it had already been over a week since we went apple picking so I figured it was time to give this yummy sounding recipe a try.
I chose the title for this post after my kids kept asking me why I had so many potatos in the slow cooker. LOL!
I'm sharing the recipe here because it turned out wonderful with very little effort. Just threw all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and although it said it would be done 10 hours later it was done inv7 hours. (my apples were small, not medium).
We blend ours with cream cheese and put it on a toasted english muffin in the morning. Yum! Yum! Yum!
12 medium cooking apples
1 1/2 cups packed light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1. Mix all ingredients in 5-6 qt slow cooker
2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 - 10 hrs or until apples are very tender (in my case it was 7 hours)
3. Mash apples with potato masher or large fork.
4. Cook uncovered on low heat setting 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally, until mixture is very thick. Cool about 2 hours.
5. Spoon apple butter into container. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
Thank you Betty Crocker :)