MY BEES ARE HERE!

April 22, 2010

Today was bee pick-up day. We woke early, around 6 am and headed over to Nature's Nectar to pick up our girls. I had an ok nights sleep, wasn't worrying too much about today but about 3 miles away from our pick-up location I felt like I was about to vomit. All that self-doubt started to creep in. What had I gotten myself into? Was I fooling myself about becoming a beekeeper? Could I really do this? Was I just foraging ahead with another hobby that I'll tire of in a week? Grrr! I hate my brain sometimes. I took a few deep breaths and reminding myself that I was about to begin an important journey into the wonderful world of beekeeping. Learning about beautiful honeybees, an insect I once feared beyond comprehension. 



When we arrived there were a few people standing outside with their bee jackets on. Huh????? I thought maybe I had forgotten something. I quickly ran over to the lady in charge and asked if I was suppose have my bee suit on. She laughed, reassuring me that it wasn't necessary, she was only wearing hers because it kept her warm in the cool morning temps. My hubby made a "bee" line (lol) over to the coffee and donuts. They loaded my carniolans into the car and my 10 year old immediately shut the sliding door on the mini van enclosing herself inside with the new addition to our family. She jumped out a few moments later claiming the bees were boring because they weren't doing anything. I asked if they were humming and she said "um, yeah, I guess so." Weird, I thought.

Once hubby was finished socializing and eating (he's a Leo) we piled into the mini van and drove off. I leaned over and looked into the backseat to check out the bees and they were quiet, I couldn't hear a thing, so... it was a smooth ride home and all is now well. Thanks to my friend Natalie I now know that bees are quiet when they are cold. I should have knitted them 7,000 sweaters before picking them up. LOL!

BTW/the bees are much louder now. They've warmed and they want out! LOL!

Middy is checking the bees out in the car and Maya is checking them out after we got home.


Amber said...

This is just so exciting!!! I can't wait to follow your journey as a beekeeper! :D

1 Crafty Gal said...

I wanna see your You Tube video of you putting them in their new home. LOL!!! Good luck, I know how excited you are!!!!

Michelle said...

Haha! Karie, that will happen this afternoon. I know what you really want, to laugh your butt off at me while I'm getting stung to death. LOL!!!

Strumelia said...

I had one hive last year, but sadly they died over the winter. Winter has seemed SO long without bees. But I get my two new colonies the first week of May- almost here!
I know just how excited you are- look forward to hearing about the bee installation in your hive, and pictures please!
here's my blog, has lots of stuff about bees (both honeybees and solitary native bees), gardening, bread, cats, etc... http://strumelia.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your new bees!

Michelle said...

Thank you for your blog link Strumelia. I'll be following you :)