OH HOW I LOVE THEE

July 6, 2009

Let me count the ways...

I have such a good hubby. It only took him 2 months to get the rain barrel set up but he did it and I love him more for doing so. 



Has anyone used a rain barrel before? I have wanted one for years but didn't want to pay the price associated with shipping. This year we were at the Quaker Plant Sale and they were selling rain barrels for $70. Couldn't beat that price so we bought one. Lo and behold, rain barrels are now the "in" thing. I went to Home Depot a few weeks after buying mine and an entire wall was filled with rain barrels. There are some fancy ones too. Here are some goodies that I found for anyone interested in getting one:

THE FLOWER PLANTER RAIN BARREL

THE SQUARE WOODEN RAIN BARREL

THE ECO RAIN BARREL

RECYCLED WHISKY RAIN BARRELS

THE PRETTY CASCATA RAIN BARREL

If you would like to learn how to make your own:

Printable Instructions

More Printable Instructions

You Tube Video:



Don't water your veggies and fruits with rainwater that has run off your roof, at least I wouldn't. Lots of nasties on the roof that you probably wouldn't want going into the food you eat.
Amy W said...

What a great idea!! (Next, you can use your wood ashes and rain water to make lye....oh my.)

Anonymous said...

So cool you got one up!!

Do you know of any place that talks about how you can filter the run-off from the roof to make the water suitable for watering the veggies? :)

Michelle said...

Teresa,
The only filters I've seen are for debris. I haven't seen any that filter out the yuckies from the roof. Good idea though, I hadn't even thought to look. I'll be on the hunt and if I find anything I'll let you know. I would really like something like that because I'd prefer to use the rain barrel for the veggies and fruits. They grow so much better with the rain water.

Amy,
I don't think I'll be going that far. Too much work. LOL!