HEADING OUT FOR A MUCH NEEDED VACATION

December 31, 2008

The family and I are headed out of town for a 14 day vacation. We will be visiting the island of Oahu. We are very much looking forward to it. The last couple times we visited the island I had intended to visit the THE SOAP FACTORY. A family set up shop in an old historic sugar mill and have a very successful soapmaking business on the island. I've passed by but never stopped for a tour and this year I do not intend to miss it. I have lots of goodies in mind that I'd like to buy and hopefully they will let me take pictures.

Years ago, while vacationing, I asked a native Hawaiian woman why all the ladies on the island had such beautiful skin, she told me that it was customary for mothers to bathe their babies in kukui nut oil and that it was continually used throughout their lives and excellent to use after being out in the sun because it prevented aging. After asking 1000 questions about kukui I was eventually invited to visit the Oils of Aloha location. I had an address and a phone number but couldn't manage to find it. This year I'd also like to include them in some of my site seeing. I know they don't allow for the purchase of Kukui oil directly but their product is plentiful all over the island. I can honestly say this, I've tried kukui nut oil from several soap supply companies and the oil sold by Oils of Aloha is by far the BEST.

Hawaii is a dream for anyone who makes their own body products because there are natural soaps, lotions, perfumes, etc... EVERYWHERE. Last time I was there I needed a separate suitcase for all that I brought back. LOL! I'm sure I'll have lots of products to talk about when I get home and I'm also planning on doing my first BLOG GIVEAWAY :)

Aloha &
Hau`oli makahiki hou
Woman Interrupted said...

I am SOOOO jealous of your fabulous getaway! Please tell us all about this magic oil. I just hit 35 and the grays and wrinkles are popping out all over!

Pam said...

Wow, what a way to begin 2009!!! LOL

Enjoy your trip, Michelle...is that the same company that has tons of youtube videos if so, they are really popular soap company in Hawaii. I hope you get to take some pics, Enjoy yourself, learn alot and have fun. Have a safe trip, I look forward to an blog about your trip. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you, Michelle! I cannot wait to see and read all about your trip, especially the soap-related parts! ;)

Happy 2009!

Je-nO said...

Aloha Michelle, You will pass our Oils of Aloha offices on your way to the soap factory at the old sugar mill cuz we're on one of the main roads. I do hope you'll have time to visit us this year. Our oils are used by many soapmakers in Hawaii. In addition to making kukui oil - we make macadamia oil and macadamia aloha scrub (coarse and fine). It's been raining here all week so the surf is yuchhy brown from all the run-off and the giant turtles haven't been coming up to the beach. We still have the most most beaches on the island. Give us a call when you're on the North Shore.

Je-nO said...

Michelle, we'd like to give you some ingredients for your first blog giveaway. Hope you get a chance to come visit Oils of Aloha. We're not set up to sell directly from the factory because we just don't have the space and mostly because we don't keep a cash box to give change. But we can do a factory sale with a credit card or check.

Heather@Twin Birch said...

Hey there! Happy New Year!!!
Could you email me your addy at
twinbirch@verizon.net so I can send you your Feel the Love Soap?

xoxox Heather

Michelle said...

Hi soapers. I'm here at a coffee shop stealing internet access. LOL! Found lots of fun goodies for blog giveaway. Can't wait to share pictures with everyone. Vacation is wonderful. Nice & sunny :)

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you for the past week and wondering if you were back yet. Miss you on FB!

Michelle said...

:( Je-nO,

I'm so sorry I missed you. I sent an email to Oils of Aloha just before I left but then had trouble getting internet access while I was on the Island. My mac didn't want to cooperate with me. Finally found access and the coffee gallery on the 9th for about 5 minutes. I must have passed you on the way to the soap factory :(