WHAT MAKES A PRODUCT SELL?

November 13, 2008

I've asked this question before but have been thinking more about it lately. What do you think makes a product sell? Fragrance, Texture, Packaging? I would guess most handmade soap or other body product business people would say all of it matters but what I've been hearing from people I've spoken to about this, most people are sold on ONE things. Sometimes it is packaging that first attracts them, some don't even pass up an opportunity to buy a product, even if it smells badly, if the packaging is great.

Myself, I use to be sold completely by fragrance. I would buy something I certainly did't need as long as it had the scent of coconuts. LOL! Anything tropical, I would buy it. I've heard others tell me the same thing.

So, out of curiousity, I've added a poll to my blog and would like visitors to answer, if you could only use one item to sell your product, which do you think would attract the most buyers? I know, I know, not all people are sold by fragrance or packaging alone, often times it is the combination of things, but I'm trying to see what you think makes a product the strongest.

The poll is on the top right of this blog. Please let me know what you think. If you want to add remarks, post away :)

Even if you don't make anything, please join in on the poll.

(Sorry about my incoherent blabber, I can't write or think today)
Anonymous said...

I am so a fragrance gal (and married to a totally non-fragrance guy...boy, life is rough! LOL!). The color/looks/packaging might grab my attention first, but the fragrance will make or break the deal. :)

egassner said...

This is such a hard thing for me! There are so many factors...it's like a timeline. First and foremost...it has to attract me somehow (packaging, colors, texture) to make me even what to pick it up. Then it has to smell good. If it smells awful..I really won't buy it. And if it smells great...price. If the price is right, I'll buy it. So I voted for price because that is what actually 'sells' it and get the $$ in the pocket

koinonia community said...

I have to check fragrance first since so many fragrances give me a headache. I have run out of shampoo and gone up and down the shampoo aisle sniffing shampoos until I find one I can tolerate.

Woman Interrupted said...

If it is meant to be a gift, then the packaging would instantly turn me off or catch my eye (I don't want to give a gift that doesn't look nice.)

But I would agree that the fragrance is the most important factor when buying toiletries/cosmetics for myself.

Carrie Garvin said...

I wish it was all about ingredients~ but I find packaging, then name (fragrance) then ingredients....it's fun to read what others have to say...

Hugs

Amber said...

I am stuck too. Like Natalie, I get headaches from most fragrances, so I obviously won't buy anything that make me feel gross. But I won't even pick up an item to look at it if the packaging doesn't appeal to me (or color if it's unwrapped).

Um, also, I tagged you today...

Michelle said...

Woohoo! I love tags, I'm on my way to your blog.

Michelle said...

Result for 13 votes:

53% chose fragrance
2nd place was ingredients.

Anonymous said...

For me with where I target sales it is all about how it looks, impulse buying, bling factor, packaging, upmarket, unique, boutique, exclusive, smell, pricing, brand reputation, ingredients not so important but I will scan over them, they must be good. If it sucks then it stays in the shop, fools for stocking rubbish. What a shop stocks says a lot about the store owner. Some are clueless idiots the poor sods.lol.

For me it has to do everything including perform and leave a lasting memory in the users mind, we want repeat purchases and total addiction. This equals happy stockists. It has to be the best it can possibly be or it's not good enough. Perfection if possible. lol I can't help it.

Michelle said...

You made a good point Sharon! Repeat customers are what sellers want. One sale doesn't automatically bring back the customer... so it is important to make the package complete and as you said... perfect :)