Saturday, July 19, 2008

HANDMADE SOAP BETTER THAN DETERGENT BARS?

First let me say this: one reason I like making soap is because I can control what I put into it, therefore, control what goes on my body. Before I ever made soap I would buy soap from a local soapmaker (for the same reasons), I liked knowing what the ingredients were and that it was natural.

Today when I was at the farmer's market looking at some of the stands of local soap sellers a thought came to mind. When you are telling people about soap it often times is natural to tell them why handmade soap is better than commercial made soap (or I should say detergent). But in all honesty, can we tell people that handmade soap is better than detergent bars if our soaps contain frangrance oils?? We dont' know what goes into the creation of a fragrance oil because of the "trade secret" law. Often times what is in a fragrance oil isn't always safe for our bodies.

Fragrance oils are a mixture of aroma chemicals. The mix can either be part artificial and part synthetic, or all synthetic.

phthalates are often used in synthetic fragrances and phthalates are hormone mimic's. The FDA doesn't regulate the use of phthalates in cosmetics.

Here is a link with some information on synthetic fragrances: CLICK HERE

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I do use FO's in my products and I also use products on myself that contain FO's. I prefer EO's but I, like many people, love scents that I cannot get in an EO. I know the "warnings" and I choose to continue using FO's.

But.... my question is this: when I'm selling my soap can I still promote it as being better for a person than detergent bars if it contains and FO? Doesn't an FO possibly carry with it the same risks as a detergent bar's chemicals carry? I also sell EO soaps and always tell customers to do a patch test before using (since we can be allergic to anything, natural or not) but since FO's are "synthetic" what is your opinion on that?

(I hope no one takes offense to this post. This is something I struggle with personally and would just like advice/opinions on, nothing more than that).